1ST NOVEMBER 2017 TO 30TH NOVEMBER 2017
Mouth Cancer Action Month is held in November every year and is supported by the British Dental Health Foundation and the Mouth Cancer Foundation.
The aims are to raise awareness of mouth cancer and make a difference by saving thousands of lives through early detection and prevention.
Here are some facts about mouth cancer from the Mouth Cancer Foundation:
Mouth cancer causes more deaths per number of cases than breast cancer, cervical cancer or melanomas.
- Around 60,000 people will be diagnosed with mouth cancer over the next decade.
- In the UK there were 7,700 cases of mouth, throat and head & neck cancers in 2011.
- Tobacco use is still considered the main cause of mouth cancer.
- Drinking to excess can increase the risk of mouth cancer by four times. Those who smoke and drink are up to 30 times more likely to develop mouth cancer.
- Poor diet is linked to a third of all cancer cases.
- Cancers can occur in any part of the mouth, tongue, lips, and adjacent areas like the throat, salivary glands, pharynx, larynx, sinus, and other sites in the head and neck area.
- Human Papilloma Virus transmitted by oral sex is an increasing risk factor. .Limiting your number of partners and practicing safe sex reduces your risk
THE CHANCE OF SURVIVAL IS GREATLY IMPROVED IF THE CANCERS ARE DETECTED EARLY AND TREATED RAPIDLY.
Mouth cancer patients suffer greatly owing to disabilities such as facial deformity, loss of teeth and damage to the tongue and throat, with consequent difficulty in talking and eating in public places.
Early detection is where we come in at Lindley Dental. All our patients who attend for an Oral Health Check are screened for oral cancer. We also ask about your smoking and drinking habits.
Self-awareness is also important and if you spot any of these things you should see a dentist to get it checked out;
- A sore or ulcer in the mouth that does not heal within three weeks.
- A lump or overgrowth of tissue anywhere in the mouth.
- A white or red patch on the gums, tongue, or lining of the mouth.
During mouth cancer action month, we are offering Free Oral Cancer checks, just ring us to book a time ;01484 425192